Sunday, July 27, 2008

Couch to 5k: W2D3 (redux)

Yesterday I ran my last official day of week 2, huzzah! What's even better is that on Friday I got new running shoes AND the Nike+ Sportband I've been wanting.

My new Nikes feel so much better than my old New Balance 854s. They're super squishy, which is especially good because I run on concrete alot around my neighborhood. They also breathe much better, and are lighter and more flexible. My ankle pains are gone, but replaced by shin soreness, bleh.

I also ran with my new Nike+ Sportband yesterday. It was interesting to get realtime feedback on my pace, distance, time, etc. It's a little distracting being able to check my stats, but I think I'll get used to it. Also, the internets tell me that I should calibrate it by running > .25 mile, and then walking > .25 miles. My run/walk yesterday was 2.9 miles according to Nike+, and 2.65 miles according to MapMyRun, so it's pretty far off. My main worry with calibration is that you can't mix walking and running. If you go running specifically to calibrate, you can't walk, too. Maybe I can run a lap at the track, pause the workout on the band, walk a lap, then start recording again and run another lap to be sure I have a session of just running. I'm pretty sure it'll take some trial and error to get it right.

No comments: