Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Couch to 5k: W3D1

Just finished up my first run of week 3. It's so awesome to see my progress over the last weeks. Today I did two cycles of [run 90sec, walk 90sec, run 3min, walk 2min], and I know for a fact I couldn't have done that successfully a month ago. The last 3 minute run was the most difficult, of course, but I managed the whole thing, and even went a little longer to pass a guy on a lawn mower who had stopped so he wouldn't shoot grass all over me.

Also, Nike+ says I went 2.3 miles, but MapMyRun says it was 2.08. I still need to calibrate, but that's not going to be easy until I can run for longer than 3 minutes at a time. Looking at the plan, week 5 looks like a good time to do it, especially the third day. That's the first time there's no walking interrupting the run.

I also got a couple of running books at the library yesterday, Runner's World Complete Book of Running and Marathon and Half Marathon: The Beginner's Guide. I'm trying to wait until I finish school on August 9th to begin reading them, but my willpower is pretty weak when it comes to books. I've already started the first one.

Oh, and I have a new goal there in the left column. 100 miles in 12 weeks. Nike says I'm ".9 miles behind schedule" (even with the wonky distance measurement), but I'm sure I'll make that up as I begin to run for longer periods. I love goals, and this one "sounds" big enough to feel like an accomplishment when I finish it.

No comments: