Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Couch to 5k: W8D2

I did a solid 2 miles today on the treadmill. This morning I gave myself the excuse that because I spent about 4 hours yesterday scrubbing the kitchen floor, my quads and glutes deserved a day off. After my (late) morning cup of coffee, the caffeine got me going enough for a run. I did compromise, though. I went for the treadmill instead of waiting till it was cooler in the evening. I figured I could get a (relatively) easy run in while ensuring that I kept a steady pace for calibrating my sportband.

The first mile and a half or so was easy, and I'd have never thought I would say something like that 3 months ago. I've noticed that I'm still amazed by my progress, but my honeymoon with running is pretty much over. That's not to say I don't still love it, but it's getting a little harder to find the motivation to hop on the treadmill or run down the street. But I guess that's part of every relationship, there's a point where the fun newness is over and the real intimacy begins. In this case, the intimacy is embedding running into my life wholly, and calling myself a true runner. There will be good runs and bad runs, and maybe extended breaks here and there, but I know I will always be a runner at heart.

On a less sentimental note, I was finally able to calibrate my Nike+ sportband. Considering it was about 30% off, that's some really good news. I was going slightly faster on the treadmill than I would have down the sidewalk, so it wont be 100%, but at least it'll be better and slightly more reliable than it was. The bad part of that is it'll be a little more difficult to keep up with my "100 miles in 12 weeks" goal.

I'll be upping my mileage by .25 on Thursday. I'm not strictly keeping with the c25k program these days because I'm ahead on time (I'm doing ~30:00 now), but still behind .75 on distance. In my head, I've really already finished the program. Of course, if I ran a 5k tomorrow I don't think I could finish without walking, so maybe I'm not really done. I think it's time to write my own program to get into 10k shape.

Today's run (the calibration doesn't take effect until next time):

No comments: