Saturday, September 20, 2008

A nonexistent road

This morning I used mapmyrun to find a route that was as close as possible to 3 miles. I found one that was at 3.03 going down a street I had never gone down before and taking me through another neighborhood. I even wrote down the street names on my arm so I'd know where to turn.

Well, I got to that street I was supposed to turn down and lo and behold, there was no street. It was a ditch. Bleh. That threw off my whole run because after that, I didn't know what route to take that would be 3 miles. Anyway, I did a few circles around other streets and took the long way home, hoping to rack up some mileage. It worked, because looking at the route I DID take, I went about 3.5 miles total. I walked more than a fair share of that, I'd say 2/3 mile, so it wasn't a totally awesome run, but it was pretty good. I'd feel better if I could have done it without walking, but that's how it goes, I guess.

I really want a Garmin Forerunner 305. It's a wrist-mounted GPS unit that gives real distance and pace instead of the "try to calibrate it and hope it works" Nike+. Too bad it's like $300 that I don't have. Maybe I'll get it for myself for Christmas when I (hopefully) have a job.

Here's the run. I'll have to recalibrate it again, there's no way I only did 2.37 miles. I should recheck it with the treadmill sometime this week, maybe on Monday or Tuesday when I have a 2 miler.

No comments: