Monday, September 15, 2008

Couch to 5k: W8D3

I guess today is W8D3, but I'm still not really following the program much anymore. I'm continuously stuck in the limbo between going longer on time but not far enough on distance.

Oh well, I'll get to 5k level soon, no need to rush it.

Today was my first run since Ike blew through on Saturday morning, and I got to take a look at some of the damage in the neighborhood. Lots of people were out cleaning up, raking, mowing, fixing roofs, etc. I had to dodge a few downed trees, but nothing totally epic.

I ended up walking at about half way for maybe 1/5th a mile. I was wanting to take it easy and not tax my legs too much, considering my shins started aching at the first quarter mile. It was (is) such a beautiful day outside I didn't feel the need to push myself very hard, and instead relaxed and enjoyed being outside.

Next time I'll be going 2.25 miles nonstop, hopefully. I've got nothing against walking breaks, I know even seasoned runners work them into their long runs to improve their endurance, but I'd like to get to at least 3 miles without. All of the beginner training schedules I've found start at 4 miles as the long run, so 3 miles without walking should prepare me for a new program. Tacking on .25 once a week, it shouldn't take me too long to get there.

Or, maybe I'll just haphazardly put together my own schedule for a few weeks until I "catch up" with one I've found. I'll post here when I come up with something.

I did go about 2.5 miles today not including my walk break, a personal distance record. It turns out that when I calibrated my Nike+ on the treadmill, my natural pace was off and instead of over reporting my mileage by 30%, it UNDER reported it by about 13%. Since I can't go back and edit my previous calibration, I have to try it again. Maybe tomorrow I'll head to the track since the schools are still closed and get a quick .5 in.




No comments: