Saturday, August 23, 2008

Couch to 5k: W6D2

Today was mediocre at best. I didn't get enough sleep last night because my alarm was still set for stupidly early from yesterday, but I still thought I would do alright, since my 20 minute run last week went so well. I rode my bike over to the track and started jogging. Within about 5 minutes I knew I was going to have trouble. I was huffing and puffing even before the halfway mark, and no matter how much I slowed my pace I was still having problems. I made it through the first 10 minute run, ended up taking 5 minutes to walk instead of 3, and tried to get through the second part. I ended up having to stop with about a minute left.

I feel like a copout. I'm still exhausted and will probably take a nap after I shower.

The Nike+ Human Race 10k is in one week from tomorrow, and there's no way I'm going to be able to jog more than like 2.5 miles. Maybe if I split that and do intervals instead of the full run that I'm supposed to be doing that day I'll be able to go further. And the route I'm taking will bring me by my house at the halfway mark so I can rest for a few minutes. My goal is to finish it in 1:35:00, which makes out to be about 15:00 per mile. That's slightly faster than a walking pace, so here's hoping I can make it.

No comments: